/ The Inspirations of a Student Journalist: Review: One Day

Monday 5 September 2011

Review: One Day

A week or so ago I went to see One Day at the cinema, I came out crying.


The film revolves around the lives of two main characters Dexter Mayhew played by Jim Sturgess and Emma Morley played by Anne Hathaway who met on July 15th 1988, Graduation day and St Swithins day. The film documents key moments of their friendship for 20 years showing them on the 15th of July of each of those years. Emma is a typical good girl with morals eager to make a difference in the world and Dexter is a rich boy who just wants to have fun in life and live on the wild side a little bit, he doesn't have ambitions and dreams the way that Emma does. From the day they met they fell in love but neither of them really realised and as they went about their lives there were arguments, tears, fun and laughter and many missed opportunities at life together.

I was glued to the screen at the cinema, longing them to wrap their arms around each other and hold on forever, to notice that the person they were waiting for had been there for 20 years! I don't want to tell you what happens in case you are planning to go and see the film anytime soon, but as I said - I came out in tears. I always try and hold it in at cinema, for the sake of my makeup but I looked to my friend beside me and we were both weeping like a pair of emotional girls. It certainly sparks a reaction and isn't that what any good film should do?

I did enjoy the film but when I think back to it what I want to know is why the hell did they cast Anne Hathaway as Emma? To start with, the characters are English and Hathaway is American. I realise that as an actress she should be able to sound English when required but clearly she struggled! Her accent seems to change throughout the film there is no consistency and it actually sounds fake, for me that ruined the film a little bit, it was just annoying. Why not use and English actress. I'm not the biggest fan of Anne Hathaway although I love her in Devil Wears Prada.

I loved the story line and therefore I'm willing to forgive the poor English accent and advise you to go and see the film - it's at least worth a watch of a orange Wednesdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment