/ The Inspirations of a Student Journalist: You know that sinking feeling...

Tuesday 20 September 2011

You know that sinking feeling...


You know that feeling, like when you’ve got to the check out in a super market after doing your weekly shop and you realise you’ve left your purse at home? You know that sinking feeling, well something similar just happened to me on the train. I handed my wad of tickets to the ticket inspector quite innocently and he says in an irritated voice: “Do you have the ticket for this leg of the journey?” I looked at him, a little confused and said gormlessly: “Is it not there?” Well obviously. He told me to have a look for it and he would come back, that sinking feeling hit me.  I started to panic, oh my god oh my god I’m going to be kicked off the train, an hour from home, in the dark and the pouring rain with only 80p in my pocket.

I pulled out my pockets, and emptied the contents of my bag! It wasn’t there! I racked my brains desperately to try and work out what I had done with it. To be honest I’d probably not even taken it out of the machine when I collected them or I’d left it on the previous train or something, either way I did not have it and this was a bit of problem. Hoping the guy would forget about me I settled back down to read my magazine but no. I soon saw him marching back through the carriage with purpose. “I’m really sorry, I haven’t got it, I must have lost it or left it on another train or something, but I’ve definitely paid. Here’s my booking confirmation!” I spluttered helplessly, producing my blackberry to show him the confirmation email. He looked over my tickets once again and then lectured me a little bit about being careful in the future and making sure I have everything required for my journey as sometimes people hand tickets to other people for parts of the journey (I’d never thought of doing this!) Then he walked away, he didn’t kick me off or fine me so I was safe and maybe I had over reacted a little but there I decided to share this with everyone that reads my blog.

Although I am currently on a train with no Internet I will post this when I reach my destination – which if you were wondering is home, my proper home in little old Devon with my family. I’m taking a few chilled days there before the mayhem of fresher’s and the start of my second year at University. Crazy stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment