/ The Inspirations of a Student Journalist: Pushy & Proud: Pamper Parlour Mums

Monday 5 September 2011

Pushy & Proud: Pamper Parlour Mums

I'm sitting here watching this new series on Sky Living and to be honest I'm a little bit disgusted by it. A princess parlor? Wearing makeup at 3 years old? Spray tan at 4? Eyebrow waxing at 12, a mother that spends £200 a month on clothes and treatment to keep her daughter looking good? Are you serious? At 3 years old I was playing with plastic farm yard animals and running around the garden getting muddy, at 4 not much had probably changed and at 12, I definitely wasn't thinking about having anything waxed.

It's totally bizarre to me, children shouldn't be wearing makeup and receiving beauty treatments. They need to be taught that they don't HAVE to wear makeup to look good because other wise they will grow up under the impression that it is a necessity in life. Surely it will effect their confidence? They'll always think that they need a face full of makeup to hide behind. What about natural beauty? I've always regretted starting to wear makeup, I'm pretty sure I didn't need to at the time but I did it because as a young teenager that's what everyone did, and now I can't go without makeup. That was a decision I made myself whilst growing up, but this program is showing mothers dressing their little girls like barbies. I don't see anything right about that, do you?

As a child you still have your innocence, how can you rob that from a toddler and exploit them in such a way. They have the rest of their lives ahead of them to do all the grown up pampering things. That's what becoming an adult is all about. Yeah, as a teenager you start discovering all that's available to you to make yourself look and feel good which is brilliant but I'm watching little girls on this program being smothered in makeup and fake tan.

I appreciate that the mothers featured on this program aim to prevent their children feeling bad about themselves and providing them with confidence but the reality is, that they are actually putting these ideas in their head. I never cared what I looked like as a child, I was too busy playing games and running around. There are things that adults do and there are things that children do and to be honest I think that's the way it should be kept. I know that in some cases it's just a little bit of nail varnish or glitter, which as a little girl is great. It's exciting to be treated as a princess now and then but that's what it should be - now and then, for a party or as a treat! Children are vulnerable and impressionable they need to be shown that it's not all about how you look, they need to know that they are beautiful the way that they are and they need to grow up knowing that!

No comments:

Post a Comment