/ The Inspirations of a Student Journalist: Age

Thursday 14 April 2011

Age

Lately I've been thinking a lot about age.
Recently two people I vaguely know died, one was only 40 years old and the other was at the grand age of 104 years old! Isn't that a huge difference.

Lilly Goodson was a good friend of my nans and a friend to the family for much longer that I can remember, alongside my own nan she watched myself and my two cousins grow up along with her own grandchildren and probably a lot of other people.

At 104 years old, I wonder what did this lady NOT see in her life time. If my maths doesn't fail me, it must have been around 1907 that Lilly was born, I can't begin to imagine how different the world she was born in to is to the world that she has left. I know myself, the world has changed in my short life time of 19 years so it is completely beyond me to think what happened in 104 years!

I remember my nan telling me as a small child, Lilly still goes up stairs on a double decker bus, she walks everywhere and she's part of every group in the Brixham area. I used to think Lilly was an extraordinary women and even at just 5 or 6 I would think: "Wow I want to live that long!" 

40 year old Jim Holland, was my high school maths teacher and a complete legend throughout Cullompton Community College. He had a brilliant love hate relationship with the students. We would curse him for the work he gave us, but you ask anyone of the kids that were taught by him and I guarantee every one of them would have a story to tell. A story that would make you laugh, and story which will be treasured.

My point is however that there is no warning of what age you will be when you have to leave this world. I think that makes you realise that you have to live life to the full you have to live like you haven't got much time even if you eventually do end up like Lilly.

It's a harsh old world that's for sure and I think if there is anyone that has seen the harsh and good from today and from 100 years ago it would of been Lilly Goodson. What an amazing lady.

As for Jim Holland, he and his family definitely saw the brutal reality of life and how early it can be snatched away. If you have read all the comments and kind words from the students that he taught, it's clear to see he was a brilliant teacher who clearly made a considerable impact on hundreds of students, who's thoughts are all with his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment