/ The Inspirations of a Student Journalist: Child Models - Cute or Disturbing?

Wednesday 13 April 2011

Child Models - Cute or Disturbing?


I don't know about you but when I turn the pages of monthly glossies such as Vogue I don't expect to see children as young as six modelling the latest couture. 

Though French Vogue has done just this, a whole special toddler edition in the December – January issue of last year. What may I ask, is all that about? Former editor Carine Roitfield left a lasting impression on the magazine when her last issue was full of children modelling the latest fashions. First impressions maybe: “Oh how cute.” But then you see the photos it’s more a case of shock.

It disturbed me to see children with full faces of makeup, six-inch heels and the latest high fashions. Not only this but maybe the worst part is the way the models are being positioned and photographed, as if they were adult models. They are being sexualised with provocative positions and poses and extra attention paid to parts of their body. Am I the only one seeing something a little bit wrong with this?

Children at the age of six should be playing with Barbies and dolls not acting like them. Their innocence has years to remain so what is right about corrupting it with the fashion industry at such young ages?

There is a thirst for the young fresh-faced innocence that only children possess. There are even modelling agencies specifically for children.  My attention turns to the parents however and I wonder, how exactly they can allow their children to be thrown head first in to the fashion industry so young.

After watching the new series on Channel 4 on a Wednesday evening called, The Modelling Agency, which follows the work of a top UK agency called Premier my eyes have been opened a little further to the industry. One episode in particular focuses on the ‘new’ faces and ‘fresh’ faces. Here, the children are scouted at young ages and then ‘nurtured’ by the company until they are ready to work.

This is probably better than children modelling straight out of pre-school but it still interferes with childhood. One of Premier’s girls, India Farrell changed her mind during the first episode when she became of age to work after being scouted at just 12-years-old. This caused stress and upset to the company and staff that had been working with her. The 16-year-old was under pressure to deliver but  young and un-sure of what she wanted in life, she struggled.

As quoted by India: “I just felt lost like I was surrounded in really thick fog and I couldn’t find or see the route I wanted to go down and I just felt like I was being trapped in the corner looking at other models and comparing myself thinking that I wasn’t good enough.”

To me, that sums up what I am saying. Pressure, and corruption of innocence can be damaging. Childhood is valuable and once it’s gone you will never get it back, I think it’s shocking when children are snapped up for modelling before they have learnt about the world around them and the harsh reality of it. 

1 comment:

  1. If children model at all it should be Easter dresses for JC Penney or something else equally tame. And parents who prostitute their children into fashion venues such as Vogue need to be beaten within an inch of their lives. Kids are forced to grow up fast enough now, let them have their youth, untainted by the demands of a twisted society.

    ReplyDelete