/ The Inspirations of a Student Journalist: Camden Market

Saturday 16 April 2011

Camden Market

I am a country girl from Devon who a couple of days ago was introduced to Camden Market in London.

After 5 minutes of being there, I had fallen in love with the place. It might not be glamorous as such but there was certainly something about the place that fascinated me. There was row after row of market stalls, pretty dresses, jewelery, various other clothing items, vintage shops, furniture stalls, you name it, it was there and I couldn't get enough of it.

I am a typical girl - the word vintage excites me, I like pretty things and I'm a sucker for anything lace and let's me honest who doesn't love a bargain. It took me ages to chose from all the lovely things on all the stalls and the boyfriend said to me: "Don't act like you really like something, we can haggle!" But I couldn't help myself, every corner I turned I couldn't help but say: "Ooh I love that!" and "That's so pretty!" Eventually with so much to chose from I bought myself 2 dresses. A pretty summery dress, and a lacy vintage looking dress, both which we managed to get the price down to £13 each! Bargain!

Minutes after buying these however I walked in to a shop full to the brim with lace detailed dresses, jackets, cardigans and scarves. I was dangerously close to going totally over board, forgetting I was a student and purchasing the whole shop. Instead, I promised myself I would come back again when I had more money, and I gracefully left the shop and left Camden market.

Out of all the places I went that day, Covent Gardens, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly, Leicester Square and Buckingham Palace it was by far the one that captured me the most. From the moment I left the tube station there was a different atmosphere, it felt like I was stepping on to the high street in a different world.

Camden is renowned for it's open air markets and alternative clothing and lifestyles. It's very popular for more of a punk or goth interest but for girls like myself the vintage, lace and pretty things are all there too.

http://www.camdenlock.net/

I loved it, and I can't wait to get back there buy more dresses and taste some of the delicious food that was also on offer right through the market from Mexican to Chinese and from candyfloss to doughnuts!

2 comments:

  1. Favourite place in the whole wild world. Really glad I stumbled across your blog, I'm an aspiting journalist too :).

    Helen, X
    areyoudressingupordressingdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an amazing place!

    Thank you :) I will have a look at yours

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete