/ The Inspirations of a Student Journalist: Day 1// Topical Blogging - The Royal Wedding.

Sunday 24 April 2011

Day 1// Topical Blogging - The Royal Wedding.

For Day 1 of the blogging challenge the topic was something that is currently in the news, instantly I though of one event which for one reason or another is continuously cropping up in the News, The Royal Wedding.

The royal wedding is less that a week away now. Did you know that? Of course you did, If you listen to the radio, watch television, use the internet via computer, blackberry or Iphone or read magazines and newspapers then you would definitely know.

Lets be honest now, the whole royal wedding palaver has sent everyone a little bit crazy. I will admit, I'm completely obsessed with the whole thing, yet I'm not quite sure why? I would love to say Wills is a friend of the family and I go shopping with Kate on a regular basis, but that would be a lie.Yet every day, I find my self thinking about their wedding.

I literally cannot wait to see Kate's dress, and see how many bridesmaids have to stop it from dragging along the floor, miles behind her. Just think, the money that has been thrown at this event and how utterly glamorous, gorgeous and perfect it's going to be, and also the pressure there is to make sure it is just as it should be.

In my slight obsession with the whole thing I Googled it, just to see how the schedule looks. I can't believe how complex it is. Any regular wedding and the schedule would mention, the people directly involved wouldn't you think. You know, the two people getting married and their families. Not when your the son of the Prince of Wales, your wedding then involves a couple of hundred other people you probably don't know the names of.

The schedule starts between 8.15am and 9.45am with, the general congregation arriving at the Great North Door of Westminster Abbey. From 9.50am Governors-general and prime ministers of realm countries, the diplomatic corps and other distinguished guests arrive at the Abbey. Who are these people? 

The schedule gets as exact as 10.38 when The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall leave Clarence House for Westminster Abbey. They arrive at the Abbey at 10.42am. What I want to know is what happens if unexpectedly The Duchess of Cornwall's heel breaks and she has to change her shoes? Or if Prince Charles forgets the camera? (Yes - I realise there will be a very expensive professional photographer, but you get my point.) That would ruin the schedule a little wouldn't it? 

What I like about the marriage is that Kate is like any other girl. Well, maybe I should rephrase that. She was like any other girl, until Prince William proposed to her and offered her a marriage that the entire country and probably many others will be watching. From what I have seen of her and read about her, she does seem so normal, so natural and so lovely. That doesn't stop a lot of the girls in this country thinking: "Bitch!" She does get to marry the prince and have an absolutely extraordinary wedding, and a whole day where all eyes will just be on her.

Exciting as that may sound, think of the pressure? The pressure to look amazing, get the vows right, not be late, not to trip over anything or get drunk and take the piss out of the Queens Corgi or something. She's marrying in to the royal family for goodness sakes, better stay away from the champagne. 

Anyway, the wedding is on Friday and I'm pretty sure the country will be celebrating in style. It's been announced as a public holiday so for me that's an excuse to have a damn good party. I will definitely be watching the royal wedding, I can't wait to see if anything goes wrong, anyone falls over or a car breaks down or something. I'm pretty sure however, with the amount of money that will have gone in to this day, mistakes like that will not be happening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment