/ The Inspirations of a Student Journalist: I need a new job

Sunday 17 April 2011

I need a new job

I look at people who have been doing the same job for longer than they can remember, and I think to myself: "How?" I've spent the last three summer's working as a seasonal catering assistant for the national trust, to begin with part time but during my gap year before Uni I worked full time. Come September, I was definitely sick of the sight of the place and ready to leave it behind.

Coming home for Easter meant the beginning of my 4th summer with the National Trust. Two weeks later, and I wonder how I stuck a whole summer of working 5 days a week doing exactly the same thing, every single day. I need a new job.

I think that's what excites me about going in to the world of Journalism, you never know what each day is going to be like? What you'll be doing, where you'll be going and who you'll be talking to. As well as a passion for writing I think that's dragged me towards this career choice.

Any temporary job like a catering assistant or shop assistant is fine when your young and you know it's not for ever but if I knew that, that was it for me I think I would struggle to find any enthusiasm what so ever. I wont lie, I've enjoyed working at the National Trust, I've made some great friends, had some good laughs and probably some tears but I think it's time to try something different.

It's a good job, it's convenient, good money and I know what I am doing but it's also become incredibly boring, repetitive and I think I need a challenge. I have another week there before I head back to University, for the last term of my first Year. I don't like to say what I'm planning to do about my job, I think it's more a case of seeing what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment